Photograph circa 1870
Photograph circa 1903
Photograph circa 1924
Photograph circa 2004
On June 20, 1846 some 29 people became the first depositors in the new Bristol County Savings Bank. They were drawn to the one room office in Taunton by the relatively new concept of a mutual savings bank where “common men” could enjoy a safe place in their community to pool their money. They were ready to place their trust in a new bank. These first depositors were also drawn by their trust in the bank’s founders, a group of well known citizens and community leaders known for their strong ties and civic contributions to Taunton. So from the very first day of its existence, the promise of a strong commitment to both its customers and its community was forged at Bristol County Savings Bank.
For the next 130 years Bristol County Savings Bank remained focused almost solely on Taunton, providing a safe and secure place for depositors through wars and depression. The Bank grew with the city, moving into its own building on North Street (later becoming Broadway) in 1860 that would remain its headquarters, albeit with multiple renovations for many years. In 1996, the Bank acquired the Jones Block next door and moved the headquarters there, keeping the original building on Broadway as its main banking office.
In 1976, the Bank opened its first branch office in Raynham Center. Steady branch expansion has continued ever since, with branches following in Rehoboth in 1981, North Raynham in 1982, County Street in Taunton in 1988, Attleboro in 1994, North Attleboro in 1998, Franklin in 2000, Pawtucket in 2001, Dartmouth in 2007 and New Bedford in 2010.
In addition to growing the full service banking branch network, Bristol County Savings Bank began expanding into other avenues in 1996 with the opening of its first dedicated loan centers in Taunton and branches for students and faculty at both Taunton and Attleboro High Schools. Additional loan centers have since opened in Attleboro, Dartmouth and Fall River.
The continued success and stability of the Bank along with its longstanding commitment to give back to the communities it serves resulted in the establishment of the Bristol County Savings Charitable Foundation in 1996. Since its formation, the Foundation, has given millions of dollars in funding to hundreds of deserving community organizations.
In 1995 the Bank acquired Anawon Trust to provide new and existing customers with access to wealth management services. In 2008, the Bank expanded its financial services umbrella further by acquiring a substantial interest in the Farrell Backlund Insurance Agency, one of the region’s largest property and casualty insurance agencies.